Custom Car Chronicle

1966 Jaguar Mk2 custom (another JamesD build)

Home Forums CCC Forum 1966 Jaguar Mk2 custom (another JamesD build)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joe
    Participant

I’m finally getting to post about a ground up build…. and I have some questions.

I’ve been dreaming about this build since I saw JamesD’s photo transformation about 10 years ago. I’m thinking it should be a smooth custom, but with a racing heritage, like Justin Hill’s XK120LM.

I picked up this RHD 1966 Jaguar Mk2 in November. It was imported to Italy in 1979 by someone in the US Air Force and the transferred to Texas in 1980 where it’s been in dry storage ever since, although it looks like a restoration was attempted. It is 95% rust-free. Even the leather and wood are mostly good.

The plan is to use a 1965 4.2 with triple SUs or Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies (Webber clones) with the original 4 speed + overdrive or a modern 5-speed manual. I’m going to use the thin bumpers from a 240 (cheaper Mk2) like in the photo. Probably a dark maroon body, but otherwise stick to the JamesD plan.

My first step was to get it lowered, but the wheels wouldn’t clear the fender in front or rear, and offset wheels won’t clear the lower ball joints. The only practical solution is to go to 17″ rims, and that’s not going to happen, so we lowered the rear 2″ and I ordered 2″ lowering springs for the front. Any lower and there are problems (for now).

Here’s where I need some opinions. In the photo, the car has full skirts and steel wheels with a Mk1 rear window. I love this version, but it’s basically, a 2-door Mk1. Also, there may be skirt interference in the rear unless I go with a thinner tire. Right now it’s a 205 and stock is 185. Not a big deal. However, I am also considering wire wheels and have a line on some good ones. I am thinking black wires with white walls, or chrome wires with black walls, or chrome rims with black wires. Regardless, the hub & spinner/knock off will interfere with a full skirt. That means I would need to make a bubble skirt, which probably won’t look right, or I do like JamesD did in another version (red version) and have the wheel exposed. That looks great on the red fastback, but will it look right on the black version?

Opinions on wheels? Opinions on wheel arches?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Joe
    Participant

Here’s my very primitive attempts at photo manipulation of the black car with the wheel arches from the red car, with chrome wires or black wires with chrome rim and knockoff hub. Thoughts?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.