Custom Car Chronicle

1957 Continental

Home Forums CCC Forum 1957 Continental

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Eric H
    Participant

hi guys, it’s been a while and I now have another car parked next to my 51, a crusty 57 Continental.  These things had incredible styling in so many ways yet a little disproportionate in other ways. Being a custom lover I can’t help but want to take this car in this direction despite opposition at every turn.

In all honesty I have not come across any custom examples that really blew my mind and I feel like I have some kind of writers block when it comes to my own. I really have the itch to get building again but my vision isn’t very clear.

I am open to all suggestions and inspiration.

Thanks, Eric.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Because of the length of the Continentals they look as though they were sectioned at the factory, so I would say a mild chop to bring the greenhouse more in to proportion to the rest of the car – being careful not to overdo it and add more visual length to the big car.  Aside from that (obvious?) contribution I’m at a bit of a loss too; since the car is already a bit of a de-chromed custom from the very start.  A tough car to be unique with without going overboard..  Keep noodling, I’m sure you will devise a clever scheme!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Eric H
    Participant

FCC8B977-7480-468F-AD2D-98F7A9CFBB4F

Eric H
    Participant

Thanks Dave, you’re right about all the typical mild custom stuff has already been done. One of my thoughts was to move the cowl and roof forward 3”. Quite a bit of work but the result would leave the car far more proportionate. Also a  mucho measuring, cutting and welding (work that I love).

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I just moved my cowl back 13 inches to get a long hood. Don’t lose that already dramatic long hood. It just needs a perfectly balanced chop. 2 1/2 to 3 inches. You’ll be done in two weeks.
    …. and get rid of those hokey bent wiper arms for some nice straight ones…. Nudge nudge.

Tony
    Participant

They are a bit of a sacred cow for me. That puts me firmly in the restore camp. :O

Eric H
    Participant

They are a bit of a sacred cow for me. That puts me firmly in the restore camp. :O

i get the long front ends on the earlier cars and I agree that it looks great. I have a strange compulsion to create long rear ends on post war cars and to be honest this car’s hood would still be a mile long  I am hesitant to chop it for fear of making it look silly long, if I did it would not be more than two inches

Eric H
    Participant

Sorry Tony. Thought the above reply was to Quentin.

Tony
    Participant

Google images shows up several butchered ones.

Eric H
    Participant

Google images shows up several butchered ones.

Absolutely, most tun my stomach.

Mark Spooner
    Participant

Ive just moved my rear axle forward to get more of the 57 look, please dont move the cowl, it would look like most others………….

Torchie
    Participant

Here is a pic of the first one that comes to mind.

It looks like George may have done a full radius on the rear wheel openings. I’m sure Rik knows more about this car.

It needs a little chop( 3 inches?) and then I would look at making the top removable as well.

I’m watching

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tony
    Participant

I think George added some tackiness. That car does not need spots or fake landau irons and I assume, a vinyl roof.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I’m with Tony on this one too. If any customizing is to be done, it should be incredibly subtle and with due restraint. Maybe shave the door handles and any extraneous trim that seems excessive. Though there isn’t much of that on these cars. Nice custom color would do wonders on its own too. The Barris’ car was done at a time when spots were “in”. It would be like putting LED strip lighting on it today. Too much.

And keep in mind,  he was in the marketing business. I agree his car could have been much better, even in the time it was on the streets.

just my $.02

Mitch

James D
    Participant

lincoln_continental-mark-series_1956_wallpapers_3Sacred cow or not, i never really liked the rear roof on these. It´s a bit rough and ready, but this is a `56 Chrysler rear window and rear roof/rear quarter windows, the Conti windshield is only chopped slightly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.