Custom Car Chronicle

1949 Mercury in scale….

Home Forums CCC Forum 1949 Mercury in scale….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve Boutte
    Participant

I started with the AMT 1949 Mercury kit & added some flush fitting fender skirts that I had cast a few years ago.
    null

I wanted to chop it similar to the Quesnel Merc., but with a slightly different B pillar treatment. I studied lots of photos of 1:1 chops & got to work.
    null

After gluing things back together, I was pretty pleased with the flow of the top.
    null

This is how it looked after getting everything filled in & I added the trim around the side window openings. I also rounded all of the corners on hood, doors & trunk.
    null

Now, after a couple of years working on it on & off, it’s done.
    null
    null
    null
    null
    null

You can see a couple of photos of the interior that went into this car in the article I wrote for CCC about laminated dash knobs in scale.

Steve

Bickford
    Participant

Steve
    Looks AMAZING as always!! keep up the great work and keep sharing on here!!

Jason

memo ortega
    Participant

the time an paciance that went into building this model merc was worth it ,awesome, memo

wow rik, this is like we are going with you guys on this trip to the a bombers show how cool, cant wait to see more , palles car looks awesome with the chop an new martinez top memo,

PalleJ
    Participant

holy cow Steve..this is amazing! thanks!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Another brilliant Custom car in scale Steve.
    You have so much talent to create perfectly scaled down real custom cars.
    I love the whole car as it is, but the attention to detail is just so amazing. Like the bumper guard taillights, the early 1950’s style license plate frames. The rounded corners on the hood, and especially on the rear where it was shortened.
    Amazing!

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Keith Daleen
    Participant

That is beautiful. What kind of paint do you use on a model?

Steve Boutte
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words!

Keith, most of the time I use acrylic lacquer for the body. The interior & other parts may be a combination of lacquers & acrylics. I have also painted some using fingernail polish thinned with lacquer thinner.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

Now this is a masterpiece.So perfect I cant say anything that has not been said already.I wish this was close to me so I could see it in person.The paint looks deeper then most high dollar paint jobs on full size cars.Great job congrats.

Craig Wise
    Participant

WOW….THIS IS JUST AMAZING…..THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!

David Wolk
    Participant

I’ve looked at this posting many times and it still amazes me. The details are awesome.

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

My favorite model I have seen. This is beyond words.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.