Custom Car Chronicle

1947 Ford Project (and Questions!)

Home Forums CCC Forum 1947 Ford Project (and Questions!)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Hastings
    Participant

Torchie: Yep you’re correct regarding the bump stops. I’ll also take a look around for a donor. There’s an auto graveyard about a mile from my home, maybe I can get lucky over there. I might try and fab it up first, see if I can get it close. If not, then take a stab at a donor.

Brian: I will definitely ask about that when I reach out to the blaster. I just found a few local guys info the other day. I’ll put that on the question list. First I have to figure out how to get the under body tar/grime mostly cleaned up. After following a few other builds, this seems like a rather crappy job!

What’s the consensus on body rotisseries? I see kits for $800, whole ones for $1200, but it seems like its about $100 worth of steel if I go down to the steel yard. I would just need some plans for the job. Is there a common solution here?

Brian Arcella
    Participant

If you have the room for a rotisserie I say go for it, it’s made my life so much easier mainly because I work alone but even season builders will tell you it’s a good investment if you don’t plan on building anything else you can always sell it to recoup some of the money you’ve spent.  PM me and I’ll give you the brand and contact info if you like don’t feel its right advertising anyone’s product on here IMO it’s  supposed to be one of the better ones but I’m sure some may agree or disagree, look for a used one but be careful of bargain brand stuff last thing you need it a weld goings south and your car crashing to the ground. If you do get one it will make it easier to clean the bottom thats for sure, my guy has several of his own so if someone doesn’t have one no problem but being as I have my own we do body and frame at the same time

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Johnny Hastings
    Participant

Thanks for the info Brian. I did end up ordering some components to make a rotisserie with. I’ll take some photos and do a proper review when it shows up. I think it’ll be invaluable!

Johnny Hastings
    Participant

I’ve finished a few more videos of the effort.

This one details from end disassembly, mostly:

https://youtu.be/WDbSSlf9mt8

This one details side and rear end disasembly, mostly.

https://youtu.be/dgUNBcOIiZU

Current state is that the body is completely pulled apart. I’m stuck until I figure out some solution for the rotisserie issue. Once I get the body off the frame, I can get the chassis sorted; until then I wait.

I took some pics for the bandwidth challenged. This is what it looks like right now:

Brian Arcella
    Participant

Looks like you’re making nice progress, over all the body doesn’t look too bad the usual rust in the usual places but for a 70 year old car not too bad

Torchie
    Participant

Looks like you’re making nice progress, over all the body doesn’t look too bad the usual rust in the usual places but for a 70 year old car not too bad

Yep Pretty much

If you are in a hurry get 4 friends to come over and just pick up the body shell off the frame and set it on a cart for the time being. Then you can work on the frame.

I rigged up an overhead hoist in my shop so that I can lift things by myself as I don’t have 4 friends. 🙂

Torchie

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.