Custom Car Chronicle

Tale of my Two 1941 Merc's

Home Forums CCC Forum Tale of my Two 1941 Merc's

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Exciting news Eric.

Thats a straight looking 48 Ford…. So your could.. if you would not trade the 48, also do a 41 Merc long door coupe…. 🙂 The options!!!

Looking forward to that video.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Eric
    Participant

So the 48 went to Jesse miller at Miller Metalworks….he’s going to repair the fenders on the 41, mold the rear fenders in and possible extended the lower body line like the Lopez car, Snooky 41 & possibly old the cadillac grill in!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Sounds great.

Please take plenty of photos.

Eric
    Participant

Few things going on with the 4 door…I beam on the ground, unwrapping the springs for the 1st time ever. Called Sid’s and it’s 6-8 weeks before I’ll get the axle back…it needs an altitude adjustment so I’ll just have to wait.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eric
    Participant

Front end is now fully apart ready to be shipped. While it’s apart we are going to reverse the eyes for a little more drop. With the front end off Ken took a little water, soap and an SOS pad and made this 74 year old beauty look pretty damn new.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Eric
    Participant

Long skirts showed up from Agape Auto Parts

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Those skirts look nice. Are they from the same shop that also did the once on the Jesse Lopez recreation done by Jerry Daman?

Eric
    Participant

Yes Rik they are the same ones Jerry used for the Lopez Recreation.

Eric
    Participant

So here they are test fitted to the car. Overall they look good, but will require some work to make them fit right. One of the problems is the latch system and the fit at the front. When I applied the pressure to the latch the metal pulled out of the upper fold. A couple tack welds took care of that. But it is still not enough. The whole latch panel in the middle lacks major support, tabs will need to be welded to give it more support. In addition, the tabs on either end at the bottom are less than desirable. We plan on welding tabs to the fender and bolting these to the fender instead of the wingnut tight tabs to the fender. The fit at the upper corner on the forward side has about 1/4-3/8 of an inch gap when pressed to the car. With all that these skirts are very nice but don’t expect a perfect fit, they will require some work to get them to look right.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thanks for the review Eric.
    To bad they do not fit as the original skirts. But I have to say they do look better than those later model short skirts.
    Glad these are available today.. even though they might need work.

Eric
    Participant

Gas is supposed to look like this right….lol

Eric
    Participant

While we are waiting might as well get the rear crossmember cut down

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Hmmmm that gas look like a box full of strong coffee….

Eric
    Participant

This is the way we decided to tackle the rear….cut the bottom out of the rear crossmember so the spring will tuck up in the crossmember. A support will be welded inside the crossmember to give it it’s strength back. Reverse the main spring and remove the next longest spring

Eric
    Participant

Before & After

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.