Tale of my Two 1941 Merc's

Home Forums CCC Forum Tale of my Two 1941 Merc's

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Eric
    Participant

I shared this on the HAMB and wanted to share it here as well, with the sale of my 54 it’s time to focus on one car. I purchased a 41 Merc Business coupe about 2 years ago and it has been patiently waiting its turn. One of my absolute favorite kustom’s is the Bob Tormey 1941 Mercury. I feel this is just a clean and simple kustom that wasn’t done over the top.

I had a difficult time locating a short door 1941 Mercury and from what I’ve been told they produced very limited numbers of the short door coupe. I’ve only seen 3 or 4 for sale in the past few years. My dash was completely parted out so I found a 46-48 Mercury dash to fill the void for now. But to my surprise when I found this one the rear seats where still their. Overall the body of the car is in really good shape.

Eric
    Participant

So here is the dilemma with my 41 short door….the front fenders appear to have been tweaked by something causing some pretty significant damage. The rears have a few dents but nothing major. I found NOS replacement fenders but they wanted my first born for all 4 fenders. There are a few items here and there that need attention, but overall major attention is needed in a lot of areas. Being that the items I am needing are so difficult and expensive to find I had to come up with an alternative. I found an extremely well taken care of 4 door to take care of 95% of items needed. This 41 came out of Frisco, TX and was bought out of Alabama. The gentleman that owned this car passed away and has been sitting for the past 7 years. I hate to disassemble such a nice 4 door, but once I’m done someone will be able to make a nice cruiser out of what left of the 4 door one day. Hell I might even keep it and repair the fenders and do it myself.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Hello Eric,

This willl be really great to watch. The 1941 Mercury is one of my all time favorite cars. No matter what body style. They all serve as a great base for a Cutom Car.

Your choice to base it on the Bob Tormey Barris-built 1941 Merc makes it even more interesting. I have always really loved that car. Looking forward to see the progress on this one.
    Have fun.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

glen dale caldwell
    Participant

This will be a great car. keep us updated man.

This will be fun to watch. With Bob Tormays car as reference it can´t go wrong but it hurts you´re going to part out that nice 4 door sedan. Thinking of it as an hardtop chopped 4 door with the b-pillar removed.Hmmmm.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Listen to Kenneth!

Eric
    Participant

Kenneth with the damage to the front fenders in particular I’d rather focus on the coupe….but your idea is tempting. The 4 door will still be around after the coupe is assembled….Hmmmm

KingKustoms
    Participant

Wow, great choice of car to recreate…definitely an understated kustom that came out of the Barris shop. Looking forward to seeing the chop process.

J.B.
    Participant

Sounds like a great plan for the car. There can’t be too many earlier Barris style cars out there! 🙂
    GOOD LUCK!

Eric
    Participant

Update motor isn’t locked up, but does need a new starter. Going to have the water pumps, carb rebuilt, generator, and starter gone through. Ken over at Faded Love Garage but a charger on the battery and it’s still holding a charge.

Little fun fact about this car that I didn’t know. When I picked it up the steering was locked. I’ve never seen one have locked steering before. Come to find out once you turn the ignition a pin moves allowing the steering to be unlocked. Pretty neat lockable steering! Also, once he had it up in the air it was noticed that the springs are still wrapped. More updates as I get them

Eric
    Participant

So slight change of plans….getting into this car it’s just to nice to pull apart to get my coupe on the road. Plan is still to put the 4 door on the road, but I bought a passenger side Appleton S-551 and going to order the long skirts from Agape and just roll this well preserved beauty…more updates to come..

glen dale caldwell
    Participant

So slight change of plans….getting into this car it’s just to nice to pull apart to get my coupe on the road. Plan is still to put the 4 door on the road, but I bought a passenger side Appleton S-551 and going to order the long skirts from Agape and just roll this well preserved beauty…more updates to come..

awesome!with the right stance that sedan will rule!also i am going to need you to mail me that spare steering wheel sitting on the floor of the car..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Sounds like a really great plan Eric. I love the look of those four door sedans. Please take plenty of photos of the long skirts when you get them. I think a lot of people would like to see those. These long 1941 Ford/Mercury skirts look so much better than the shorter units they did for the 42-48 cars.

Eric
    Participant

Broken stud on one water pump and had to cut away material to access the other one….time to remove the front end, but good news is the old pumps are off new ones are on. Should be up and running soon now!

Eric
    Participant

The 4 door is just about ready to start the rewire to 12v….hopefully be able to post a video soon of the old flathead running. Skirts should be here in a few days.

On another note picked up this 48 Ford from a old neighbor for a steal. Told the guy I don’t intend to keep it, he said wife wants it gone so do what you want with it. So the car went up for sale, and ended up working out a trade with another established builder to do some work to the coupe. I’m going to keep y’all hanging until we are on the road Wednesday with the 48 and 41, but I’m pretty damn excited to say the least about what’s about to go down to my 41 coupe!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.