Custom Car Chronicle

1941 Merc Padded Top

Home Forums CCC Forum 1941 Merc Padded Top

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Good to hear you found some original long ’41 skirts.

Still hard to believe nobody makes these the right way. They look so much better on any ’41-48 Ford/Mercury than the ’46-48 units. And those aftermarket you had on them sure look way to flat.  You would say there will be a market for it.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Good to hear you found some original long ’41 skirts. Still hard to believe nobody makes these the right way. They look so much better on any ’41-48 Ford/Mercury than the ’46-48 units. And those aftermarket you had on them sure look way to flat. You would say there will be a market for it.

Palle has a set that I´m allowed to borrow and copy. Just have to get them over here and find some time to do it.

Eric
    Participant

There is definitely a market.

My Appleton’s has some unity handles installed so Paul set me up with these nice chrome handles with some reproduction plastics from Garlands.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Yum..!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Eric
    Participant

Well change of plans…decided to bring the car back to Texas.  As much as I wanted to have the top done, the truth be told the car would need a lot of mechanical work once back home.  This car has thrown several surprises along the way.  New goal will be to get the suspension right, body in primer, wiring and double check mechanicals.  Once the car is in paint and interior done it will go back for the top.

7F26C020-EEC8-445A-85BD-AFE2B6AB32FB

Well at least you will have your car close again.  It always feels more like your own project when you are able to do your own “hands-on” work for a while and enjoy ownership once more!  Please continue to keep us informed of your progress!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Eric
    Participant

Nothing much going on with the ride, taking a break, and collecting some parts. Car is Faded Love Garage, same place that did the work on the sedan. Ken is going to shorten the hood side trim like the Tormey Merc real soon.

Found some original Merc accessory dash pieces and they got damaged in shipping, probably never find any again!

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Eric,

I have seen a guy on Instagram that does Pot Metal repair. I don’t know anything about him or his work, but will try to find some info for you. I believe he’s in the Vacaville, CA area.

Mitch

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That’s a major bummer Eric.

Hope the guy Mitch mentioned can fix it. Otherwise perhaps glue it back together and try to do some sand casting.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Mild Mitch
    Participant

OK,

James Ruther, Phone 707 621 5052, In Vacaville

goes by @potmetalrepair on IG

It looks like he is capable, but like I said I have no experience with him. I am thinking of contacting him regarding a Packard grille I have too.

Mitch

Eric, what happened to the chrome dash bits that were in the car?  I am sad that such hard to find parts were damaged by poor packaging and/or poor handling by the courier..  Hope Mitch’s contact works out!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Eric
    Participant

Thanks Mitch I’ll look them up!

Dave, still have the chrome pieces that came with the car.  They are cast out of brass, in fact I have two other brass sets that came with the car.  Sold some 41 Merc trim to a guy and got to talking and he said he had an original set of dash trim he’d sell, so I couldn’t pass that up.  So either way, I’m set to keep the dash pieces chrome.

Eric, I didn’t know that there were pot metal as well as brass replacements for the original soy bits..  I wonder how many different manufacturers were making these pieces back in the day?  I felt especially lucky to find styrene replacements for my missing trim..  Anyway, I guess it’s good to have options – eh?

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Eric
    Participant

Another piece of the puzzle, bought  some 16 inch flippers already modified to fit 40-48 wheels!

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Great find Eric! Would you mind showing the modifications to the inside please? I am curious, I need to modify a set I have too.

Thanks!

Mitch

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.