Custom Car Chronicle

1941 Merc Padded Top

Home Forums CCC Forum 1941 Merc Padded Top

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Eric
    Participant

So first sorry for staring a new thread but all my other pictures where through photobucket and for them to be viewed by this site I have to pay some money….anyways to the good stuff, I’ll be updating this thread instead of the old one that you can’t see anything on anymore.

Many of you know I purchased this nice start for an early style 41 Merc convertible while I still had my 41 Merc 4 door sedan and my 41 Merc auxiliary seat coupe.  I need to focus on one car so I sold those to help fund my padded top dream car.  I’ve had a few things going on so progress was stopped a few times but now things are moving along.

Eric
    Participant

Glen Dale picked up my Merc for me and transported it to Paul Garlands shop.  Plans while at Pauls shop is to reshape the skirts, fix the license plate recess, one piece the hood, repair some metal, shorten side trim, install some 112’s, chop it some more and get the top ready for some fabric.

Eric
    Participant

The rear tires on the car where 15 inch which squatted the car a little too much in relation to how much drop it had in the front.  A horse trade with one of Paul’s customers for my 15’s for his 16’s and a couple of new tires and the stance looks more proportional.  After that came one piecing the hood, repair the dent on the lower cowl area and incorporate a Zephyr center section into the Mercury bumper ends and still utilize the Mercury bumper guards.

Eric
    Participant

The car unfortunately did not have the latches, alignment dowels, a usable header or the convertible mechanism.  I purchased new latches, alignment dowels and latches and in case you don’t know they are freaking expensive!  I was able to purchase a 41 convertible top for Paul to use for the carson top.  Paul started reshaping the fender skirts as the one’s on the car are extremely flat.  If you aren’t aware the aftermarket skirts made off the pattern from the Jack Stewart Ford are extremely flat.  To get them to look like they are supposed to, the skirts will have to be shaped.  I had these skirts on my 41 4 door sedan and had Paul reshape those as well.  More to come….

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Looking forward to follow this build, thanks for sharing.

Torchie
    Participant

Thanks for bringing it all back for us to see.

Torchie

Paul(hombres ruin)
    Participant

Very nice ??.. looks great so far and your in great hands with Paul garland. The guy is a master metal man. The 41 merc is a great ride to kustomize.  And a padded top is perfect

Respect tradition

Glad you got the car Eric!  I came very close to grabbing it myself..  Have you picked a colour for the car (I know it’s early, but I also know you have a vision..)?

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Eric
    Participant

Thanks man it is fixing to get a lot better and you are right Paul is the man.  I’m really excited he’s doing the work on the car. 

Very nice ??.. looks great so far and your in great hands with Paul garland. The guy is a master metal man. The 41 merc is a great ride to kustomize. And a padded top is perfect

Dave, my vision is up in the air for the car.  I am certain on two things the color and the style of padded top.  For the color I am leaning very heavily to a dark navy with an oyster top.  I considered Washington blue, but want something that has a deeper tone.  The style of chop will be very similar to the Bill Gaylord 1941 Ford, heavy chop with a flowing top.

To further elaborate on the vision…Once I get the car back I plan on putting it in primer just so I can have one color going on.  I haven’t quite decided if I’m going to do fadeaways on the car yet, although I lean very heavily that way.  I really like the rear of the Johnny Zaro Ford but have never really liked the raised front fenders.  If I do end up going with fadeaways they will  follow the flow off the front fenders like the Bill Ortega fadeaways. 

Have you picked a colour for the car (I know it’s early, but I also know you have a vision..)? Dave

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Looking forward to following along. Paul has been posting on Instagram but it’s nice to see it here as well. Your plan sounds great Eric!

For the color I am leaning very heavily to a dark navy with an oyster top. The style of chop will be very similar to the Bill Gaylord 1941 Ford, heavy chop with a flowing top. To further elaborate on the vision…Once I get the car back I plan on putting it in primer just so I can have one color going on.

Yum!  You might consider tinting the primer – just to help with the vision..  I like your choice of a deep, deep blue.  Classic!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

LOVE it.

Here is a picture of Bill Gaylord’s ’41 Ford.

Bill_Gaylord1941Ford2-vi

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

Love the color concept of the Washington Blue and oyster colored top.

That was going to be the color combo on my custom truck with the interior being the oyster/off white color and the exterior the blue.

I found that when I test shot my firewall in certain light it almost looked black.

Going to be a very stylish custom as well as an instant classic.

Keep us all posted.

Torchie

glen dale caldwell
    Participant

man that was a long drive when I picked hat car up for you. I can’t wait to this car on the road!

Eric
    Participant

Today was a good day!  The car started out with a 2 1/2 chop…now it’s about 4 1/2!  We may go a little more but got to be careful due to the fact that the Mercury is longer than the Ford.  Don’t want it to look to squatty!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.