Custom Car Chronicle

'41 Caddy photos Location identified

Home Forums CCC Forum '41 Caddy photos Location identified

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

We have posted three photos of an unidentified early custom 1941 Cadillac in an article on the main site. The three photos (they are actually negatives that we scanned) are part of the Custom Car Photo Archive. Right now we do not have a name to go with them, hopefully one day somebody will recognize the car. This morning we already came a bit closer to identifying this mystery Classic Caddy. Yesterday I linked the article to facebook and asked if anybody recognized the car in the photo. This morning Wayne Hadfield left a comment that he had identified the location the photos were taken.
    Here is the message he left

“Rik, after looking at the photographs, I believe they’re taken at 2592 Telegraph Road, Berkeley, CA. From studying the Google street images, the buildings match.”

I looked it up on Google Street View… and yes Wayne was right these photos (or at least two of them) were made in Berkeley CA. at 2592 Telegraph Road.

This is one of the photos I posted on the main board.

And this is the same location screen shot taken from Google Street Views.

And the really neat thing is when I was looking around at that location on Google I found a mildly customized 1950 Chevy parked in front of the building the 1941 Cadillac in the article was parked as well… WOW there must be a custom car magnet in that location.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

PalleJ
    Participant

hey Rik..interesting to see the way they chopped the vent window! they clearly only made cuts at the top
    this is a thing i have been struckling with for a while you know!
    i will get back on this board when i start cutting mine!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

G’day Palle, Perhaps you should check to see if the wing vents from a junior series Chev Pont Olds, might go close before you cut your originals. Someone over there must have a 46/ 47 chev coupe/conv to compare. I have a pair of 53 Chev ones the proportions are similar to 53 Cad but just reduced.
    Love your 47. Do you have the old conv top mech? . I have a friend chasing some parts for his 47. I have many spares for 46 47 convs let me know if there is anything you need and I will have a look. Q

PalleJ
    Participant

G’day quentin…thanks for the info. i will look into this! but i think i found the right way to solder the potmetal, so i dont think it will be a problem. but off course if vent windows from another car worked better, that could be an option.
    i guess that 50’s are stainless steel, and that makes the job alot easier!
    i do have the top including the irons, its at Martinez shop in California. but shoot me a email at : p@llejohansen.dk

thanks again!
    -palle

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Palle, I have done some diecast welding and it is quite tricky. You must dechrome the part first and then puddle the pot metal without it falling into a larger puddle than you want. I made diecast filler rods out of some old door handles. By coincidence a mate just gave me the Rodder’s Journal story and I see you can Tig. Have you thought of fabricating new vents all in SS. Time consuming but no moreso than cutting and shutting your original vents. I made new rear window frames in SS for several of my Convs and it is the only way to go.
    Can you get me more info on your old 47 conv top mech. I have a friend in Calif who is looking for some top parts. He may just want to buy it.
    I found some more pics of 41s that are interesting. I don’t know who’s cars or who took the photos. Q

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I found some more pics of 41s that are interesting. I don’t know who’s cars or who took the photos. Q

Thanks for sharing your info on the vent windows Quentin.

As for the photos you attach. The first one turned into a three window coupe is a custom that is now also onwed by Palle. The photos were taken when it was still owned by the previous owner.
    The red convertible (perfect custom) is an original Harry Westergard custom for All Lauer now owned by custom car collector Kurt KcKormick.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Talk about three degrees of separation. First the green Coupe is Palle’s (incredible coincidence). .. . Second in my prior post I tried to post a pic of Bob Hoffman’s 41 and I accidentally put in the same Westergard custom twice, and then Rik posts pics of it within the hour . . . and not only that but Bob had an azure 53 Eldo that was featured in the 1985 isssue of Collectible Automobile. I bought the issue when I was 20. That was the start of my 53 Eldo love affair. Took me 20 years but suddenly I own two . . . and a further twist a friend in Perth bought Bob’s 53 Eldo a couple of years ago and I just replaced the top and did the brakes on it a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly our common interest makes the distance between us seem small. Q

mark wojcik
    Participant

Yes, the first one was being built by Jim Laga in NJ. I did the chop in my shop, mostly in one weekend. We had a “top chopping party” in which myself, Ron, Vic (all of whom built the Kopper Kart) and a bunch of friends all participated in pulling it off.
    We had a great time doing it, and having a lot of “eyes” critiquing it helped pull off the good proportions and nice li
    nes. Later, Jim performed more custom work on the Caddy, and later sold it overseas.

PalleJ
    Participant

Hi Mark..good to see you here! not to highjack the thread! but heres a couple of picture from the chop. i remember seing the chop on the HAMB..so when it came up for sale i jumped on it!
    -palle

here you are Mark!!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I am interested to see any more pics of the roof chop in progress on the 41 Cad. Shortly I want to start on my 39 Sixty spec and I am kind of wanting to achieve a coachbuilt/prototype/Hollywood custom look.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Interesting project Quentin… please keep us informed.

Some more photos of the chop on Jim’s (now Palle’s) 1941 Cadillac can be found on the Custom Car Photo Archive HERE.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I put the link to this topic on the Cadillac Lasalle Forum and got a couple of replies. Perhaps you already know about this one.
    http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20322/lot/433/

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thanks for putting it up on the other forum.
    And yes I know about Tom Black’s 1941 Cadillac… beautiful early custom inspired car.
    We have a folder for Tom’s Caddy on the Custom Car Photo Archive with a few more photos of that Cadillac. Its a Newley built car.

Tony Miller
    Participant

I do like the looks of the car in the original post. The choice of dark top covering was unusual for the time; it seems like nearly all Carson-type tops done back then were done in bright white material. The black-on-black look has really only become popular in recent years, I believe.

Ken Norrena
    Participant

G’day quentin…thanks for the info. i will look into this! but i think i found the right way to solder the potmetal, so i dont think it will be a problem. but off course if vent windows from another car worked better, that could be an option.<br>
    i guess that 50′s are stainless steel, and that makes the job alot easier!<br>
    i do have the top including the irons, its at Martinez shop in California. but shoot me a email at : p@llejohansen.dk

thanks again!<br>
    -palle

Palle this guy makes frames and wing vent windows in Stainless, I’m thinking of using them on my 41 Buick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-8-CHEVROLET-CONVERTIBLE-VENT-WINDOW-POSTS-SS-NEW-/230581423827?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35afb94ed3&vxp=mtr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.