Custom Car Chronicle

1940s Custom Car Interiors

Home Forums CCC Forum 1940s Custom Car Interiors

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

Thoughts, anyone???

My outside will be a maroon, so inside I’m thinking a basic horseshoe in maroon/oxblood around a creamish wide pleat. The dash will be maroon/sand as per stock 1940 Ford Deluxe, so I will have to factor that in somehow. Headliner standard side to side design, don’t know about material. Door panel design a simple two tone , carpet dark red/maroon too I guess. Not a fan of contrasting piping.

I think the earlier simple designs are best.

What is most important to me are details, like piping lines lining up, panels tight and even, pleats straight and even, no saggy bits or puckers. It takes a lot of skill and effort, and makes a huge difference. The interior is very important to me.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Sounds really nice Tony.

I think the earlier simple designs are best.

“What is most important to me are details, like piping lines lining up, panels tight and even, pleats straight and even, no saggy bits. It takes a lot of skill and effort, and makes a huge difference. The interior is very important to me.”

I am of the same mind on interiors too. The details need to be just right.

Mitch

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I agree Tony, Details are everything.

Wide round filled pleats are really the key to that luxurious 40’s feeling. And looks is not all that counts.

In 2015 Palle Johansen invited me to take the trip to the Old Style Weekend in Sweden in his ’47 Cadillac. Amazing in progress Customs, and the seats in that car were extremely comfortable. The last parts of the trip I wanted to take a few photos of Palle driving his Cadillac with the teardrop trailer behind it, so I switched seats with Tore, who was driving shotgun with Tim Kirkegaard in his ’39 Mercury. As soon as I sat down in the Mercury I noticed the seating was completely different than the seating in the Cadillac. Not so much supports, hard, and soft at the same time. It made me wonder how much different the seats in the Cadillac are underneath the upholstery that made such a huge difference in seating experience. I also remember having a seat in the Jack Stewart 1941 Ford, which was upholstered in 1951. That seat was nothing more than a wood plank, with foam attached which was upholstered… The experience of sitting in THE Jack Stewart Ford makes everything good, but I could not help wonder how Jim Street had managed to drive the car with those seats from LA to Dayton Ohio in 1951.

Anyway…. The quality of the seat, the springs and the stuffing is something to think about as well… to create not just the looks of a ’40’s luxurious car, but also the feel.

Coachcraft Lincoln.

GNRS_2011_1201-S

Boat seats at Jim Streets place… an amazing deep forest green leather in one of his 1940’s wooden boats.Street-01-DSC_1292Street-02-DSC_1292

Cord interior.Cord-01

Eddie Martinez did the interior in Jim Street’s 1949 Buick around 1950.  I’m not a huge fan of the white, rather die piping, but the round pleats are nice.

Jim_Skonzakes-Buick-Color-02

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

I’ve seen more then one restored pre war wooden boat with this color and style of upholstery Rik. This has helped me to set the bench mark on Car interiors as well.

I tend to agree with Tony on the contrasting piping. It reminds me of the trend in 70’s suits that had contrasting stitching. To me it was a distractions.

On my Dodge I am considering the use of Mohair as well. Mixing it with the vinyl. Possibly inserts on the doors????

I love the deeper colors but given the time period I’m shooting for not sure how that would work.

Love this thread…LOL

Torchie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Two pictures of Tom Nielsen‘s 1941 Mercury upholstered in 1950.

CCC-Tom-Nielsen-41-Merc-hometown-08CCC-Tom-Nielsen-41-Merc-hometown-13

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Mild Mitch
    Participant

I like that Merc interior. Interesting that it has seat belts too. I wonder if they were installed when they did the interior or later? Either way, far ahead of the curve.

Mitch

Wow!  Good catch Mitch!  Hardly notice that stuff now that they are regular items.  Ford introduced ’em in ’56..

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

1941 Darrin Packard unrestored interior.

DSC01507

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

DSC01508

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

DSC01527

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Wow Bert! This is a great example from the exact time. Kind of validates my thoughts on what I might like to do in the ’41 Buick. Something similar would seem just right to me. Perhaps with a flat panel at the top to reflect the panels across the seat bottom/front.

This interior certainly was elegant and quite plush when it was new.

Thank you,

Mitch

Tony
    Participant

Mmm, it also confirms to me that if the door tops rolled across into the cowl top like a 36 Ford, it would be a better looking car.

Excellent reference pictures.

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Agree Tony, and great reference in a lot of ways.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.