Custom Car Chronicle

1939 Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 1939 Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 660 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

Project like this always make me look back to those original customizers. They often had it so much easier working with those fresh, sometimes even brand new car, which could be customized right way. Not having to be restored, or even partly recreated before the restyling could begin.

You’re not kidding, I think about that all the time!!!!

Torchie
    Participant

Looks good Tony.

Great to see more progress. It would indeed be easier if we didn’t have to repair things just to cut them apart after we repair them……..:)

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

I sometimes think I could have built this car three times over if I’d started with a fresh one!

Tony
    Participant

Inside is looking better

DSC_1013

40 inner panel in place. The lower end of the diagonal brace was no good so I made a fresh one. Painted inside for some protection. Never fear, the bottoms of both doors will ne replaced.

IMG_0049[1]

Now the door was in one piece again, it was time to hang. In the mean time, I had also cut the jamb away at the floor (like on the other side) and pushed it out a 1/4″ for better alignment. I also re-did the hinge mounting surfaces on the jamb – they were out of whack too.

IMG_0090[2]

The door top is just mocked in position for the pic. It’s next on the agenda.

Or…I have liberated glass channels from doors and am de-rusting them. They need to be installed and lined up to suit the chop. Remember 40’s had vent windows and 38’s and 9’s did not, so once again, more mucking around with the Frankenstein! My hybrid 40 doors will be ventless.

IMG_0093[1]

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That near dead-on-side-view of the new door shows how beautiful that door window shape is….

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Looks good Tony!

Tony
    Participant

De rusting window channels. This is one of them after a week standing up in the cheapest no-brand white vinegar you can get at the supermarket. It works ! (I don’t have anything deeper to put them in, I’m just using a plastic juice bottle with the top cut off. I’ve flipped them now to do the other end.)

IMG_0121[1]

Button time again! Now to mirror fab the mechanism I did for the other side.

IMG_0109[1]

Just for fun I mocked the grille up this morning…to feel motivated.

IMG_0124[1]

IMG_0127[1]

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

That dead on front shot looks SOOOO good!
    The last photo is also really great, I love how the arc of the rille works with the hood… This will be fabulous!
    Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Really enjoying this one, Tony.  Inspiring!  And that’s just about your persistence and creative innovations.  The progress results are, as Rik best put it:  SOOOO good!

James D
    Participant

Looking great! I can see why you get frustrated having to work with such a rough car. Bet you can´t wait for the first old guy to tell you you´ve ruined it by chopping the roof!

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Gee it is starting to rise phoenix like. I’m with both of Rik’s comments. It’s important to give yourself a pick me up occasionally. . . . That grille is killer.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Ring Santos (opposite Wanless truck wreckers) cleaning products and get a 20 litre container of food grade phosphoric acid. Dilute it with water 10 to 1. Get one of the 1000 litre water containers in the steel frame. You can do your whole doors in it as well as your fenders. Or talk to my mate Brad Ensor ( in the Barons ) over at Fairfield and he’ll strip in phosphoric. Then whip blast in sand and then epoxyprime for $300 per panel.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi  Tony…Love the scrap metal…odds & sods buckets  just like my workshop…….just cant chuck out any thing    “might need it”……

Tony
    Participant

Ha ha! Thing is, there is a lot of useful stuff in there, but the buckets are so heavy and difficult to rummage through I either just  cut new stuff or up-end the whole bucket (and find good things I’d forgotten about)

I have a running assortment of off-cuts on the bench I work through before I get to the buckets.

Still, it’s VERY hard to throw anything away!

Tony
    Participant

I’m working on the lower firewall where the steering column goes through. The firewall has a recess and originally I had a late 60’s Ford column with shifter which went through right where the recess bend is, and that worked O.K. Now I have a 40 column (with  separate shifter shaft)  l’ve had to come up with a complicated  piece of metal to make it look half decent.

Anyway, last night I tacked in the lower mount, put the dash, column and wheel in and thought fuck it, I’ll put the seat in as well. Then I got a beer, sat in it, took note of sight lines, played steering and imagined 2037 when the car might be finished.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 660 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.