Custom Car Chronicle

1939 Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 1939 Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 660 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

I just find it incredible that Tony has this much talent.
    To look at him you would be forgiven for thinking he had no skillset at all.

Tony
    Participant

To look at him you would be forgiven for thinking he had no skillset at all.

Having only one finger on my right hand other than the thumb doesn’t help.

Tony
    Participant

It has a chin now.

IMG_3501[1]

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Spectacular!

That must be so satisfying to remove the tape from the grille… step back… and stare at that for a good amount of time… So gorgeous!

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Mild Mitch
    Participant

YES! what Rik said. Looks great Tony. And must be so satisfying to see this stage finally come together.

MM

Tony
    Participant

Thanks fellas.

In the mean time I have also made the return flange on the nose of the hood as well as bracketry in the hood and behind the grille for the latch. The hood now latches shut!

(Which of course means I now have to run a release cable somewhere.)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Tony.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Slow down…. You’ll be finished in 3 years…. And I’ll still be finishing my other door!!!!

Tony
    Participant

I suppose you’re all wondering “what has he been doing?”

Well, wondering or not, I have been doing some things.

With the grille basically dealt with and the hood fitment looking okay so far, it was time to make it actually latch, so I did this: I put a flange on the inside of the hood nose and made a bracket to hold a latch.

IMG_3503[1]

And behind the grille I made a mount for a reciever for the latch. This flat plate will eventually be extended to meet the extremities of the radiator core.

IMG_3504[1]

But progress was interrupted by this:

IMG_3516[1]

Afters 25 years of faithful service, my roadster’s radiator developed a leak (no not the mess in the pic!) so I bit the bullet and took the front apart and took the radiator to an old local shop and I’m pleased to say they did a really good job of taking it apart, cleaning it, re soldering the whole top plate, re assembling it and handing it back to me with a fresh black paint job. All for under $200 AUD. And it is all back together and working well.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Tony.
    Tony
    Participant

More radiator work? Of course, September is radiator month…

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Thanks for sharing the hood latching approach, Tony.  Really fine work there.

Tony
    Participant

Time to put the radiator in. The real one. Up until now I’ve been mocking with an original of questionable useability, but I broke out the new Walker and installed it and made an interesting discovery:

rad rods 1

The support rods that fit with the stock radiator are now way too short!
    The solution came in the form of stainless steel bolts. Off with the head and thread and weld in the rest.

rad rods 2

Although not polished yet, it worked out okay. You can also see how I finished off the latch plate to flare up to the radiator core.

rad and hood mount

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Tony.
    Larry Pointer
    Participant

An excellent baffle to help air flow through the radiator, with that addition to the latch plate, isn’t it Tony.  Those late 30s cars with narrow grille openings always presented over-heating issues.  Electric fans also have been an effective cooling option.  Your grille is a sculptural marvel.  Just sets off the front of that beautiful custom.

Tony
    Participant

I thought I should post something. I have been doing things, but nothing major. Little things. Detail things that have to be done. But I haven’t been taking many photos.

One task was making and fitting the mountings for the seats. Form the cut-out for the bumper bracket in the repaired right fender.  Then I thought I should make inner fenders. I’ve made all the brackets but the panels themselves are still cardboard.

IMG_3570[1]

I have been playing with the front bumper also. I’ve pretty much decided that I’ll go with over riders. I tried without for a cleaner look but it was just too flat and horizontal. Now I need to make brackets to suit.

bumper trial 1

bumper trial 2

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Tony.
    Mild Mitch
    Participant

Man your car is looking so GOOD Tony!

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Tony, thanks for sharing the creation of the shield panels behind the tire space in the front fenders.  Living on a gravel road, the odd sharp stone thrown up by the tire can hit a fresh painted fender and leave little  pimples with star-splits in the paint.  Aggressive tread is a perfect set-up for that little discovery, catching small angled stones with sharp edges, and Ouch!!!

Just saying… Thanks again

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 660 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.