Custom Car Chronicle

1939 Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 1939 Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 660 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

Moving to the lower front or the fender now, the area below the headlight. This is one of the most obvious accident damage/repair locations. I guess the stove in area was banged out to a generally smooth condition with little concern for the actual shape. At least that’s what it seems like. It’s quite an inward yet compound curve below the headlight but on this fender it was relatively flat. Fortunately the other one is in perfect shape so I did a lot of checking and comparing with a small profile gauge to determine what’s what.

I made a cardboard profile to determine what I needed to do shape wise on the lower lip and as you can see, it was way out!

front fender lip shape pre repair

I also had a couple of patches to do as well. This one and the section where the bumper irons project (a shitty old repair with braze, as seen in a pic in a previous post)

IMG_3214

As a help I made inner and outer profiles in thick ply to act as a kind of clamping buck to hold the shape once I had the lip curve about right. Some judicious banging brought the area under the headlight into the acceptable zone. Between this and getting the lip contour right things improved a lot, much to my relief (I’m making this up as I go.)

fender shape buck 1

Here you can see my initial rough cut out of the bumper slot. The patch was a little bigger, with rounded corners.

front fender patch 1

Looking better:

front fender patch 2

Tony
    Participant

I’ll cut out the bumper slot at a later date. It’s easier to work on with the continuous surface for now.

The shape is much better against the template!

IMG_3241

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Looking good Tony. I’ll have to visit again soon. . Once this bloody rain goes.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Very nice work Tony.
    Amazing how little shape that bottom of the fender had after the original repair work. Perhaps it was fixed when taken off the car, with no other fender to compare it with.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Tony
    Participant

This is how it looks on the car. Much better than before.

ps front fender

With the fender on the car I thought I would attack the wheel arch. As seen in previous pics, this one was very bad.

ds front fender

From the lower radius patch all the way to the area I just finished at the front, that piece of rod is welded in, in addition to many old repairs. I’d like to cut that all out and put in a whole new wheel opening. I didn’t like the idea of having to make that, but luckily I have another right side fender. It’s from a Standard, but fortunately, the lip is in pretty decent shape. No rod welded in and only one (butcher) repair in the usual location.

donor fender

So I cut a section out and dropped it in my de-rusting tank. Actually, a kitchen rubbish bin, so it didn’t fit in whole, but this was a result after a week.

IMG_3230

The lip is good inside.

IMG_3231

My chemical of choice is plain white vinegar. The cheapest home brand stuff from the supermarket.

Tony
    Participant

I cut it in two to get the job done and here it is with the wheel arch pattern I made.

lip patch 1c

I cut out the old repair, formed a new section of lip and commenced tacking it together while checking against the pattern.

lip patch1b

lip patch 1

This is the finished piece, ready for trimming and installation.

lip patch 2

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Again, thank you, Tony, for sharing.  The step-by-step photos and explanations of the processes you are going through for sure serve as a clinic.  For all, novice and old dogs alike.  The vinegar tip is priceless.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Thanks Tony.

The first two photos make me SMILE! She looks so good!

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Great stuff Tony! Nice to have the right pieces available to make that type of repair. I have been using Molasses and water to do the de-rusting bit. Haven’t tried vinegar. The results look similar though. Your Wheel Arch looks really nice!

Mitch

Tony
    Participant

I have been using Molasses and water to do the de-rusting bit.

I used to use that, but it stinks too much. And when you reach in to pull something out to check progress, your hand/arm stinks afterwards. Because of the sugar content, molasses ferments. Vinegar just smells like vinegar, even after months of use.

Torchie
    Participant

Looks great Tony.

I have used the vinegar before. I like it much better then the molasses.
    That almost side view picture with the front clip on really says it all.

Keep moving forward….

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

All valid points on Molasses. I wire stuff and have a hooked piece of welding rod I use to recover parts. No arms in it.
    Do you dilute the vinegar or use straight? 10:1 on Molasses. So a 5 gal. pail gives 50 gallons of solution.

Tony, yout results look really nice.

MM

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Mild Mitch.
    Tony
    Participant

Time to fit this patch…take a deep breath!

I thought I’d try the template first, just for fun. As it turns out in it’s life of repairs the fender has taken on a shape of it’s own in this location too! Mmm.

fender template

After some pondering and trial fitting I decided to cut a slit up through that old repair weld at the top where the shape starts to go off. My thought was to relieve some pressure and allow the shape to conform better. In the end the slit went twice the width of the patch, but seemed to help.

Here is the patch in place.

Fender lip patch in place

Tacked

Lip patch tacked

I went with Fitzee’s ‘cut and butt’ method.
    The finished job turned out like this. I’m pretty happy/relieved at this stage. The large patch solved multiple issues in one go which was good. Feeling much better about this fender now.

patch in

James D
    Participant

Top job!

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Looks almost new! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 660 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.