Home Forums CCC Forum 1939 Std Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

This topic contains 58 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Tony 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author

Tony
    Participant

Got the jamb sorted out:

Torchie
    Participant

Door jamb and all the workmanship is looking great Tony.

I understand about the motivational and funding issues but keep at when you can.

Looking forward to seeing more…..

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

Now the pass door is swinging and latching, I was excited enough to put the top on the door, even though I haven’t finalised the push button mech. It will be easier to do with no door top, so I’ve just roughly cut this door top and tacked it in for effect. I’ll take it off, do the button mech then put it back on properly.
    Of course there was a hiccup with this thing. Unlike the drive side where everything fell into place, I discovered the top of the jamb below the gutter gets deeper toward the front. So much so that at the top off the A pillar there was more than a 1/4 inch between the door top and the gutter. It threw everything out. The solution was a pie cut from 3 inches in front of the B pillar to 3/4’s of the way down the A pillar. With this closed up, nature could then take its course.

DSC_0843

DSC_0845

DSC_0846

DSC_0848

DSC_0851

DSC_0855

DSC_0858

DSC_0861

DSC_0862

Nice Tony!

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Tony
    Participant

Door buttons now function!
    I made up this bell crank paddle thingie to operate off the button:
    2887293-1374a31e54ac456e81dc97c9515c1e8a

Looking from outside:
    2887296-7183614f3304721b3b337ea23285b564

From the door top, you can see how the button clears the glass channel and the latch and the bell crank lever (left) that will need to pull down on the latch lever (right.)
    DSC_0871[1]

Made up another direction change lever and something to mount it on the door safely below the window travel:
    2887303-1542865a88e6d61ad7af1731d33d5513

And so it is (and better still, it works!)

DSC_0883[1]

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Clever…. I love it.

Thanks for the explaining pictures.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Great Tony. Now I just have to copy it

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Not only are you handsome, but you are smart as well. We could start a club.

Tony
    Participant

I have been filling holes on the 38/39/40. The cowl at the moment, so that would be 38. Both sides had rust through where the hinges mount, there was a hole for an aerial plus the vent. More holes on the firewall still to go, I’ll get there eventually.

DSC_0888[1]

DSC_0891[1]

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

More progress… GREAT!

Tony
    Participant

Still fiddling away. Had a couple of hours on the weekend so I thought I’d finish the tops of the door B pillar. There’s some whacky alignment on the right because I found more lead under the blue paint. Damn! Just when you think you have things lined up. Oh well…at least it’s progress. Nothing filler won’t cure.

DSC_0976

Torchie
    Participant

Progress is still progress even if it is just “Fiddling” away.  🙂

Looking good.

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

Now that the left side was working with the 40 door, it was time to move to the other side.

DSC_1011

This was not so easy because the other 40 door was complete toast. Rusted through top to bottom, bent, crumpled etc.

Sloper doors are not easy to find, so the solution was to lengthen a fordor door. (And a US tudor door is not much help because they are 3/4″ different.) Luckily I have some 38 fordor doors! This is how much I needed to stretch it:

user5183_pic6282_1216300615-vi[1]

To make it work, I took filler from a rear door and used the inner from the 40 door which needed only minor rust repair.

Really rough so far:

DSC_0980

(This was unfinished from years ago when I moved state. I thought it was so bad I’d need a new skin, but as you’ll see, once I picked up where I left off and finished it properly, it wasn’t so bad)

Now up to recent times, the inner, cut and paste:

DSC_0985

DSC_0984

But first, lots of cleaning:

DSC_0986

Tony
    Participant

There’s some whacky alignment on the right because I found more lead under the blue paint. Damn! Just when you think you have things lined up. Oh well…at least it’s progress. Nothing filler won’t cure.

BTW, I fixed this! I can sleep.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Great work Tony… Project like this always make me look back to those original customizers. They often had it so much easier working with those fresh, sometimes even brand new car, which could be customized right way. Not having to be restored, or even partly recreated before the restyling could begin.

The flowing roof looks so amazing in that first photo of your last photo post.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.