Custom Car Chronicle

1939 Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 1939 Coupe Sedan (Sloper) custom

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 660 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

I think that is Loctite 406?

Tom Kelly
    Participant

Yep, 406 is the o-ring glue.

That’s what I would use on rubber seals. Great for a myriad of gluing purposes, loves gluing skin to anything……

Tony
    Participant

Good, because I’ll need it for the windshield too.

Torchie
    Participant

Sorry I missed your question Tony.

Thanks Tom for picking up my slack.

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

Thanks guys, got some.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I have missed some progress. Really nice work on the turn signals and licence plate light!

Tony
    Participant

Chrome, the perennial problem.

I had to go and buy a couple of rolls of chain wire for fencing today. The place happened to be near a chrome shop that is under consideration to use for some sloper parts, so I figured what the heck, I’ll poke my nose in and get a feel for the place.

Now, I have used 3 chrome shops over the years and don’t have a problem with any of them.
    Except they are all gone.

So with another car that needs some chrome work, I have to find yet another one that will do good work, that I can trust etc. It’s a fucking pain and everyone seems to go through it. Anyway, this place does a lot of car and bike work, resto work etc. so that is a plus because industrial places don’t want to know about car stuff. Spoke to the owner who behaved with mild enthusiasm and that alone was good. He made all the right noises (the easy part) and showed me work they have done. He also volunteered some ballpark costs which surprised me a little and even wrote them down on a card for me.

So at this stage, it’s still a gamble. You ask around, some say one place is great, others say it’s no good. Some places seem to be good, then go bad then come good again, for whatever reason. I just can’t go to anywhere I’ve been happy with before and in some ways I am probably lucky I can even take stuff to a place within the city limits.

Other than that, the costs he was talking weren’t as scary as I thought they might be. Of course price becomes irrelevant if the work turns out less than 100%.

I need bumpers, some over riders, the windshield frame and die cast 1940 radio grille done. (radio grille is RHD specific, so I can’t just buy a new Drake one)

Oh, and they are flat out with work so turn around would be about 4 – 5 months. Good thing I have time. Good thing I called in. Looks like I had better get everything finished up on the ‘for chroming’ parts sooner rather than later.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Yeah chrome is a pain in more ways than one. We have one shop in our province and it is 300km away from me. The guy knows he is the only game around and charges like it. I don’t even what to think about what he would charge for bumpers.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Is that Tingalpa??? I canā€™t even bring myself to even think about chrome after remembering what I paid for my stolen rechromed 53 bumpers. A mate just paid $5000 to get the two rear bumpers done on his Ā 57 Biarritz.
    Thereā€™s one at Nanango that Iā€™d supposedly good Ā and still running. You need to Google and get quotes. Otherwise they just give telephone numbers.

Torchie
    Participant

You might try sending them a sacrifical Good chrome work was never cheap. It just seemed like it as there were more places to go…..Maybe.

30 years ago I sent in some wooden boat parts to be done. Pretty much all fit inside one not real big box.

Deck vents. Windshield stanchons. Gage trim rings….Nothing anywhere as big as a bumper.

$3500 later……

When I was looking for the 49 Plymouth bumpers for my truck build I had a pair that needed to be redone. After checking around I opted to keep looking fo better ones. I got two older re chromed ones that had never been used for a 10th of the price of re chroming.

Sheer luck on my part.

Torchie

Tony
    Participant

You might try sending them a sacrifical

That’s not a bad idea. Actually a mate of mine gave them something recently (trim from around a 53 Ford instrument cluster) so I’ll be watching that with interest.

Is that Tingalpa???

No, Pinkenba/Eagle Farm.

Apparently there is a place at the Gold Coast which is good. My mate was going to go there but Pinkenba is about 50 minutes closer.

Tony
    Participant

Quentin will be pleased to know I now have proper knobs for my dash.

Tony
    Participant

IMG_2799 (2)

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Looks okā€¦.!!! Will you paint them? Are they ally?? Polish them? A bit subdued in black?

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Yeah! I am curious too Tony. All Q’s questions…

MM

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 660 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.