Custom Car Chronicle

1939 Packard Custom

Home Forums CCC Forum 1939 Packard Custom

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,261 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

It used to be that USPS took 5 days to a week and was reasonably priced. But that all changed a few years ago when prices went nuts. A friend of mine in LA sent me an LA Roadsters 2019 licence plate from the show, which weighs hardly anything (his packing weighed more) and it cost him just over $25!!!! EEK!

I’ve seen shipping costs for the same $30 item range from $20 to over $100. It makes no sense.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Try refinancing your home after a divorce! The banks want to know how many takeaway coffees you are inclined to drink per week.
    I have a mate in Chicago I send stuff to. He has a pile there awaiting me to save enough so I can tell him to send it over….

Tinder has ruined my prospects of being a high class male prostitute…. So back to hitting metal with a hammer.

Tony
    Participant

Tinder has ruined my prospects

You flatter yourself.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Thank god you said “flatter”.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Answered a Marketplace ad for a brand new radiator perfect size and hose configuration for the Packard and less than half price…. and I ask where it’s located and it turns out two doors up from the workshop. I see the Volvo convertible and ask if it’s available…. and I got given it.

Radiator-Q-01

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Posting these for Quentin.

Volvo-034Volvo-03Volvo-02Volvo-01

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Torchie
    Participant

WOW! Nice score Q.

The only thing that I get”Given” is a hard time………

Torchie

Mild Mitch
    Participant

Damn! The parts just keep flowing! Well Done!

Mitch

Quentin Hall
    Participant

The theme I’ve chosen for the Cadillac build and the Packard build are similar. To emulate a special,factory,custom Dreamcar that may have been built to showcase each manufacturer’s standing in the marketplace and I imagine, shown at the 39 Worlds Fair.

By 39 Packard had perhaps lost it’s edge to the might of GM and had clamoured to add the Hollywood Darrins to add a bit of pizzazz to the showroom floors (as demanded by the dealers).

I tried to find a name for the Cadillac like Harley did with the Yjob and LeSabre and  Foose did with his Madam X . (A reuse of the fabled early 30s V16s). I thought Hollywood and Vine. (Cos I have the original 30s signs)and cos WC Fields used to park his 38 v16 limo there always …. but that ain’t Cadillac. So it’s still nameless.

This week I was looking on eBay and found a 1940 Packard Fleur de Lis  badge listed. I’d never heard of such a thing so I texted the seller. He tells me that it was a very rarely taken up option used on the trunk instead of the Packard crest.

I thought that was amazing considering only a few weeks ago when Rik and I were playing around with stying possibilities I wanted  to emulate the little Packard trademark hood dip, on the rear quarter trim. Tony accurately called it the “fountain pen nib”….. I thought it had a bit of a swoosh like “fleur de lis” cos I didn’t know what to call it.

But I didn’t remember even where my memory of Fleur de lis came from. Until I googled it and up came LAConfidential.

I saw it 20 years ago. Loved it. Even a 53 Eldo in the opening scene.

Anyhow…… Pierce Patchett runs a high class prostitution ring named “ Fleur de Lis “ “whatever you desire”. Pierce lives in Richard Neutra’s Lovell House …. and has a custom Packard!!!

Its perfect !! I’m calling it the ”Fountain Pen Nib” ………. errr I mean  “Packard Fleur de Lis”.

Tony
    Participant

Well, basically it’s French, three lilies in a bunch. You still see it on all kinds of French things. You see a fleur de lis and that says ‘French.’ It was the royal symbol before they cut all their heads off.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Posting these to go with Quentin’s last post.

Packard-Fleur-Q-01

Packard-Fleur-Q-02

Packard-Fleur-Q-03

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Sorry about all the double posts… One of the adding image plug-ins is bugging… Look like some of the past edited messages that first disappeared, are now all back….

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Postman arrived today with a package. A Nos pair of ashtrays and a Nos radiator cap. The two ashtrays cost me $15 and the cap was $40…. we won’t talk about the postage! Happy Days!

Spent the last few days repairing a Bentley convertible top that works exactly like the 39 Cadillac top. The tension 16C5E0F8-A1C1-4454-A8DA-117CE6A1DA13cables for the inner lining got snagged and bent the hinge cover plate. So I spent two days fixing it and got it working perfectly. Best part is it showed me how to make the hinge flaps for the Cadillac which has been bugging me for a long time.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I should have taken a few more pics of the Bentley top operation. It was a Mercedes mechanism modified by Pinninfarina  and uses the Mercedes hydraulic system which I am fast learning is a maintenance nightmare…. but someone’s got to fix them…. right???603CC4C0-9DA9-45F0-9160-2819A1E2AF45

Tony
    Participant

When you said a Bentley…

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,261 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.