Custom Car Chronicle

Custom Cars in the background

Home Forums CCC Forum Custom Cars in the background

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I was emailing with a friend of mine about how he loves to look at old movies from the 1940’s and early 1950’s to see if he can spot some Custom Cars or Hot Rods in the back grounds… driving by, or parked in the streets during the filming.

For many years I have done a similar things.. only not with movies, but with photos. I love to look at the background of photos to see if there are any Custom Cars to be seen… by accident. A lot of the Dry-Lake photos from the 1940’s have some neat customs in the parking area showing in some photos. But the best once are those regular snapshots taken from people, buildings, or perhaps ordinary cars that show these Accidental Custom Cars in them…

Here are some I have found over the years, some have been send to me by friends.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Paul Garland
    Participant

Those are amazing! I always try to explain to people how striking customs on the street must have been back then

Torchie
    Participant

Great pics Rik.
    I agree with Paul. It still tickles me to see a legit custom out on the road.
    You should start a thread called. “Spot the Custom”
    Torchie

Harley Peters
    Participant

Great photos. I love the idea of hunting them out and see the cars in daily use.

Great topic! I’m sure we all scan the “perifery” in old movies and photos for a quick peek at a custom in the scene. Here’s one I like:

Dave

Jus' creepin' along..

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Love that one Dave…

Here are a few more… some better than others.

First one is a very mild 41 Ford with some custom hubcaps on the far right.

Early 36 Ford convertible mildy restyled.

Nice coupe on the street corner.

Paul Garland
    Participant

I love these pictures. It is neat to see what was actually on the road, not just the show cars we are used to seeing

1KoolMoFo

WOW some GREAT pics!!!!!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Here are the two images from two old movies that started the discussion about these hidden Customs in movies and photos with my friend David.

The 1952 Movie Hold that line shows a nicely done chopped with panoramic rear window padded toped 1936 Ford roadster with the running boards removed in the background at the beginning of the movie.

And the 1946 Movie Blue Dahlia shows a unidentified Perhaps Mopar based Roadster with chopped windshield and padded top. Hard to see in the movie, and hard to take a screen shot from. Interesting Coachbuilt kind of a custom.

Thank you David for sharing these.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I really like this 1947 picture. Not really a custom, but the green 1940 Chevy uses single bar flipper hubcaps, clear fog lights and skirts… Dressed up to look good.

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Here is one I found. A nice, mostly stock 1941 Packard with skirts overlooking the oil fields of Los Angeles at Signal Hill.
    I believe the photo was taken my famed Life Magazine photographer, Margaret Bourke White.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

How about this nice Chevelle lowrider in a parking lot. Not sure where this came from.

Attachments:
    Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

A Porsche 356-A with a bubble top?

Attachments:
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

1949 photo.
    The 32 Ford Roadster is very nice… but what about that in progress 1941 Ford in the shop? Anybody recognize this place… who’s shop is this?

Close up of the 41 inside the shop.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.