Custom Car Chronicle

Palle Johansen 1947 Cadillac

Home Forums CCC Forum Palle Johansen 1947 Cadillac

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Palle send me this amazing photo of his Cadillac with his teardrop trailer behind it.
    The trailer has black wall tires… I could not resist to add some white wall tires and Caddy hubcaps on the trailer and removed some emblems and the taillights on the Caddy…

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

PalleJ
    Participant

thanks Rik…my friend Dan and I went to pick up the trailer, and i decided to take this picture. i knew you would do a little photoshop when i mailed it to you.
    i had two whitewall tires. but they where too old..i might put some 15″ on the trailer, it look older running those 16″
    but infact it is a 47 trailer just like the caddy!
    maybe teardrop shaped fender and skirts
    but all this next winter..right now, it is being prepared for the trip to A-bombers in sweden!

Mika Kari
    Participant

That’s one amazing car.

Kustom Kemps of Finland

Quentin Hall
    Participant

G’day from Australia, I am so happy to be here. I am new to this site having discovered it via the Hamb and seeing some of Rik’s posts there. I am a Cadillac nut that started with a 57 sedan at 19 and nearly thirty years later have a couple of 53 Eldos, a 57 Biarritz, a 53 conv, a 46 conv and a 39 Sixty spec. They are all works in progress. Bit by bit. I do all of my own work so it is a labour of love.
    As a result of partially restoring the 53 Eldos (a true factory custom) I started to see similarities to the cutdown customs that were born of the 40’s by the coachbuilt companies and also the customisers and backyarders of this era.
    I always shied away from modified cars, prefering restored ones. As I mature though I can see the true art that is involved in making a perfectly proportioned custom.
    Yes I have years of work ahead of me but I am really keen to do something custom with the 39 Sixty Special. I have been doing some cut and shut and sections with photocopies and scissors and think that there could be potential for a wonderful coupe/conv.
    You have to dream it first before you can make it real. I look forward to getting to know this site and the members. Regards. Quentin

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

Me again, Sorry I didn’t mean to hijack the 47 thread, I just got a little excited at finding this site. In any event I love Palle’s 47. That roof is superb. Amazing what a difference it makes to the lines. Rik’s comment about shortening the catwalk by three inches ? What is the “catwalk”? The mystery 41 is also incredible. I don’tknow if I am brave enough to do that to my 46 conv just yet, but that is the look I am hoping to achieve with my 39. Just going out to the shed to sharpen up my axes. . . . Q

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Rik’s comment about shortening the catwalk by three inches ? What is the “catwalk”?

Welcome aboard Quentin.
    I’m not sure catwalk is the right term. Its the section of the body between the trunk and where the package tray starts. Three inches of metal were added to that to shorten the top.

The work was done by David Martinez, who also did the top.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

memo ortega
    Participant

Hey Rik…i love this new place! i will add a couple of photos just to see how it all works!

null

rik, palles car looks a mile long with that awesome looking top, really dig it,

wow rik, this is like we are going with you guys on this trip to the a bombers show how cool, cant wait to see more , palles car looks awesome with the chop an new martinez top memo,

PalleJ
    Participant

Thanks Memo..it was nice to say hello to you at the GNRS!
    and Quentin..you have some cool caddy’s. i love a unrestored car like that!
    -palle

Ken Norrena
    Participant

I’ve been follow this build since the beginning, love the lines of the car and the early look. Looking forward to study it up Close at a-bombers old style weekend.

the forum is great.

PalleJ
    Participant

see you soon Ken..

Cole
    Participant

Palle, your car is absolute perfection, and I know you will only improve it.

Long live the 1940’s custom era!

Enjoy the distinction that is inherent in owning a customized car.

RAFA.
    Participant

HOLLY SH*T THAT SUCKER IS BAD ASS !!

PalleJ
    Participant

well..still cooking! we are about to make our cars ready for the Abombers in sweden this coming weekend!
    i really wanted to have my vent windows done in time, but i realized, that the outer frame is cast in POTmetal
    and that is some nasty shit, and welding is impossible. i searched all over, but it took me some time to find a company that had something i could use!
    it was clear, that we talked about soldering, and not welding!
    so i found a product called SUPER ALLOY 1..you can buy it both in the US and in UK..
    let the pictures do the talking!

to make sure the product worked on my potmetal, i made a cut, and filled it. worked perfect!

first cut

this is veryimportant to do..the soldering has to be as wide as possible. if you just cut and solder..it will brake in pieces. beleive me..i know the hard way ha ha

remember to use lots of this fluss..the fluss is your guide! when is start being brown, stop heating!

PalleJ
    Participant

I dont have time to do any finnish work it, and will do that this coming winter!

here we are trying to make the chrome from the 3/4 window fit the new glass..dont know if i will find the time to mount this tomorrow! but i found a guy that has some green tinted glass down town, and we will cut the glas tomorrow at 0700

the next will to look out for a thick weather strip, and stainless trim to hold up agains the top!
    if anybody has a lead to a good place ..please help me out!
    thanks palle

PalleJ
    Participant

a little teaser…another little Kustom trick i am working on!
    ..more later this year!
    -palle

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.