Custom Car Chronicle

My "37 Chevy truck build

Home Forums CCC Forum My "37 Chevy truck build

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I agree with JB.

Looks really great. I am really gla you are back working on it. I think that projects like this and Torchie’s will inspire many people looking for other starting points for creating customs.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the nice comments!

Torchie
    Participant

Thanks. I am using an industrial walking foot machine Pfaff 1245. I picked it up for $500 a few years ago.

Looking great Ian.
    I figured it was a commercial machine judging by the quality of the stitching.
    I see a few for sale around me because there is a body armour company near by that used to hire people to do piece meal work for them and now they don’t so those people are selling their machines. Most of them have been well over $800-900 dollars though.
    And Like Rik I am glad to see you back at it as well.
    Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks. I am using an industrial walking foot machine Pfaff 1245. I picked it up for $500 a few years ago.

Looking great Ian.
    I figured it was a commercial machine judging by the quality of the stitching.
    I see a few for sale around me because there is a body armour company near by that used to hire people to do piece meal work for them and now they don’t so those people are selling their machines. Most of them have been well over $800-900 dollars though.
    And Like Rik I am glad to see you back at it as well.
    Torchie

Thanks Torchie!

I got lucky with mine I actually missed out on a couple that guys were asking more for and happened into this one and jumped on it when it came up. Strangely enough I looked today on Kijiji (our version of craigslist) and just about everything around here is going for $1000 and up now so I think I got lucky.

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Well it’s been a while since I updated this. Mostly due to the fact I have been doing a bunch of little stuff that was not very interesting to see but still needed to get done. Anyways this week I took a big step towards getting it painted as I got the whole truck in sealer. It takes me more time to sort out my garage and get organized that the actual painting time but I got through it. I hope to try and start on the color but the fore cast is calling for non stop rain for about the next 3-4 days so not sure if that will happen or not. If I don’t get it on within a week I have to resand the whole thing again so I am hoping. 🙁

sealer1
    sealer2
    sealer 3

Tom Kelly
    Participant

Looking good Ian, I’m hoping for good weather too.
    Can’t wait to see some colour on this one!

mike sutton
    Participant

great to see this moving along! between this truck and torchie’s ’41 i’m seriously considering a truck for my next project.

mike sutton
    Participant

quick question, i know you said it was a 2″ chop but did you raise the windshield up into the roof? it doesn’t look as chopped as much as the side windows.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Oh that makes me very happy to see the truck in this stage…

Rain stay away… Rain stay away.

Torchie
    Participant

Good for you Ian.
    Glad to you see you carry on the custom truck banner here on the CCC
    It’s been real humid and rainy here as well but lets all send good vibes for the weather to help you out.
    Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

Thanks guys! The weather wasn’t great this weekend but on top of that I was not happy with how the sealer layed out in some spots so I have decided to sand everything down again anyways. I agonized over the decision but I just couldn’t leave it the way it was. I think it was a combination of my lack of spraying skills and just the environment I was spraying in that lead to the problems. I despise the idea of sanding it all again but I know it would eat at me forever if I didn’t.

Mike It is just a straight chop I didn’t do anything special to the windshield area. I think it will probably look smaller once the windshield frame is in place.

Torchie
    Participant

Hang in there Ian. After all the cars and wooden boats I have done I treat sanding like a meditation. Put on the tunes and set your mind free……:)
    And Mike for what it is worth. When I was laying out the chop for my custom truck anything 3″ or less didn’t even look chopped unless you could compare it side by side to a stocker. I eneded up with 4″ cut from my cab roof.
    Torchie

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

HAHA I wish I could Torchie but I absolutely hate it. I was so pissed off on Saturday I wanted to lock the door to my garage and pack it up for the year. I avoided it for most of Sunday, spent the day with my wife and son, and then went back out Sunday night and started sanding not much more I can do at this point. 🙂

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Dang Ian… I feel sorry for you.

But you know for sure now the end result will be better, and you will be glad you decided to do this extra round of sanding.

mark wojcik
    Participant

Happens to all of us, Ian! Like Torchie, I consider it a “Zen” type of situation. Relax, focus, concentrate. Forget about everything else. Sand the panel…smooth the panel…..BE the panel! Haha!
    Just go back at it and tackle just one piece at a time, perfecting it before going to the next. You’ll do OK. We all want to see that spectacular paint you are using!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.