Custom Car Chronicle

bumper guard tail lights, need some help

Home Forums CCC Forum bumper guard tail lights, need some help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cousin Eric
    Participant

Ok gang, I really want to do some bumper guard tailights in a pair of 46 Ford guards. I saw the pics of the new Lopez 41 in the archives but there is no text. So is there any special tips or tricks I need to look out for to do this, and where do you find the plastic and glue. As always any help or info is greatly appreciated!

PalleJ
    Participant

Eric..dont know if you alleready saw pics of the ones i did for my 47 cad. i used crystal clear resin, and poured in some ruby red.
    heres a couple of pics!:
    made a mold in rubber

and an inner mold

this is the short version
    good luck
    -palle

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Gday Palle and Eric,
    hey Palle, wish you would stop showing us those knockout lights…..best ever. They look like Buck Roger’s ray gun. The one thing i missed was how you made the aluminium inner mould. I saw you cnc’d it……but i don’t have friends in NASA. How did you do that? Just so i know, you went to 48 cad dagmars? Won’t fit 46/47? I fly back to Perth nxt well. And i am really hoping to finally get started on the big 39 cut and shut.

Tony
    Participant

There is at least one thread on the HAMB about making them. Possibly in the Jesse Lopez recreation thread, plus at least one other one.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

There is at least one thread on the HAMB about making them. Possibly in the Jesse Lopez recreation thread, plus ant least one other one.

Jerry shows an talks about how he created the once on his Lopez Ford clone. You can find it on the next few pages of his HAMB thread.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Quentin Hall
    Participant

I’ll check it out, but I was referring to the inner aluminium die that was machined up. That looks like the tricky bit to me.
    PS Just had a look at the Jiven Jer link you posted Rik. That is a good way he did it. A less fancy result than Palle’s. . . . But think that is how I will do my 39.

PalleJ
    Participant

Quentin..thanks for the nice words about my lenses. not that fancy i think. the guy who have the machineshop, did som measurements all over the top of my dagmars..and then decided the thickness of the lens. did some drawings in CAD..and there you go. dont know much about it. and i know this way of doing it is not really traditional. but the result is I think.
    i have some 47 dagmars laying on the floor somewhere, and will check the difference

but heres the real deal..these are the lenses made by Bob Hirohata for my Jack Stewart Ford. some layers of plastic glued together, and then handformed to the final shape. look how the inside looks like its made using a Vshaped file..

here you can actuelly see the layers in the sun. the glue probably lost its grip over the years..

and Bob also did this handle for the shifter..

all this taillight talking makes me wanna go in the shop today..to finnish thos damn lights

-Palle

PalleJ
    Participant

i am no expert, but isnt is something like this you need Eric!?
    search transparent plastic or something like that..

http://www.tapplastics.com

Tinwolf
    Participant

I never tried this stuff , Andreas sent me the link and one day I hope to buy a starter kit to try it out :
    http://www.alumilite.com/howtos/TailLights
    http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos/TailLightMoldmaking

PalleJ
    Participant

hey Wolf..this is the same stuff i use down here. the only thing i missed was the transparent color dye. i found that in the US..

here it is!

Cousin Eric
    Participant

Excellent! Thanks guys for all the input! Every little bit helps and I think I may be on the right path.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.