Custom Car Chronicle

Another grille thread…. (1951 Mercury)

Home Forums CCC Forum Another grille thread…. (1951 Mercury)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    John Ryan
    Participant

I need a grille daddy, I can’t wait another 2 years:

…Oooh like Oz’ Bad Apple? This could work right?

…The original plan, the Sam Barris?

Welcome your thoughts. I also really like the the grille of that old red Merc with the Henry J lights… In fact I kinda like that the most but so far no parts have come my way.

PSJ!

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I do like the Dodge pick up grille in your Merc John. If you would pie-cut the end pieces so that they will follow the hood shape just as Oz did on his, then it would work really well.

Here is the Henry J grille you are talking about… yes very nice as well. But on your car I think I still would choose the Dodge grille.

Another option to stay with the Mercury family… a cut down 1951 Mercury grille. But I guess that would work best if the bottom corners of the grille opening would have been rounded a bit more.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

John Ryan
    Participant

Rik,

Yes we will pie cut the grille, does it look to you like just one cut in the middle is enough? I sanded all the paint of the bar so it would be easy to imagine the final product.

Actually the Henry J grille is another pic that I think is on your site, an ancient red Mercury with light ends and a bar in the middle, ribbed in the center. I’m pretty sure I first saw it in your archive.

Other pics:

Jeff Neppl
    Participant

I think you are talking about Al Glickmans Ayala built mercury. I could be wrong though.

John Ryan
    Participant

I like that one too, but I meant this one I don’t know anything about it:

http://images109.fotki.com/v151/photos/2/223020/1102219/P2200054-vi.jpg

John Ryan
    Participant

To be honest Rik, if we include this red one, and you still like the Dodge bar the most that’s the one I will do. While I love the Sam Barris grille and enjoyed seeing the pics of the one that Matt fabbed a few months ago, The Dodge bar is pretty cool and nobody can figure out what it came from when I’ve showed it to folks.

This red Merc’s bar, well, might be very costly to create, so far I cannot find donor pieces unless I buy a whole grille and they are pricey.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Rik,
    Yes we will pie cut the grille, does it look to you like just one cut in the middle is enough? I sanded all the paint of the bar so it would be easy to imagine the final product.

Actually I think that the grille ribbed center piece is not cut at all. If you do, you will loose the center indent line, at least towards the back. I think Oz cut the outer half from the ribbed center section and angled the ends so they would follow the hood/grille opening when viewed from the top.
    I never took good photos of the grille back in 2007…

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I think you are talking about Al Glickmans Ayala built mercury. I could be wrong though.

Al’s Mercury had a Meteor grille… very rare today.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Another interesting one. 1952 Ford parts with possibly dummy spotlights as bullets.

John Ryan
    Participant

Yeah that’s what we were thinking too, looked at a ton of pictures. Probably the center ribbed section is left alone and there are two pie cuts.

I’m crazy enough to make two versions of the grille since I have two bars, I also wondered if the ’51 Ford bullets would look nice on the ends of this bar…..

John Ryan
    Participant

I like that grille but I’ve seen many versions of it on the web, I would like to be in a smaller club. You might remember when you did the renderings for me, I had a near mint ’55 Desoto Grille but it was so played out (to me) that I sold it.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

I’m crazy enough to make two versions of the grille since I have two bars, I also wondered if the ’51 Ford bullets would look nice on the ends of this bar…..

Personally I think the Dodge grille with the end sections pie-cut to flow with the opening would look the best. And no end bullets. Sure you can do two if you have them, but the floating bar with perfect distance at the end to the grille opening will look absolutely gorgeous in your car.

John Ryan
    Participant

Okay that will be the PLAN!!!!

Ian Gibbons
    Participant

I really like the Dodge bar as well (no bullets). NOW GET ON IT!!

John Ryan
    Participant

Heheh, well my buddy lives South of me and it’s still winter, so Project Mercula has been waiting for unsalted roads. Stainless = we have to tig weld right? Might be a two step process I’m not sure my friend Joe has access to a tig but I’m not too worried about that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.