Custom Car Chronicle

39 Cadillac Sixty Special

Home Forums CCC Forum 39 Cadillac Sixty Special

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 1,002 total)
  • Author
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

And to Wolf, the ride height presently is where I want it until such time as I get it registered. It can come down a further 2 inches at the rear on lowering blocks and the front can come down the same when I cut the coils. It presently sits level and once the bodywork is tidied will hopefully not have any issues getting road worthy from the transport dept. Ive been a little slack the last few weeks busy on a mate’s 57 cad conv. I’ll be back on the 39 very soon.

Doug Charter
    Participant

Hi..Q..Thanks I did have a look on line …Speedway Motors do one for 80 dollars US and it raw frame unpolished…. but with shipping it getting here near $200 AU …the better quality theres no change around $450 Au…so I have brought some alloy and will make it for about 100 with tempered glass…..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Just saw this Illustration Chip Foose created for for Wes and Vivian Rydell’s 1939 Cadillac.

And this info came with it from the Foose website…

’39 Sixty Special
    The Styling Section, and Art and Colour Studio at General Motors were created, and headed by Harley Earl. From the late 1920’s, and on into the1950s, Harley Earl headed the design evolution at GM. It was under Earl’s guidance that the utilitarian design of early Automobiles evolved into rolling Art of the 30s, 40s, and 50s cars we love today.

The first car done in the Art and Colour Studio under Earl’s direction was for Lawrence Fisher (Body by Fisher). Earl asked for a 1927 LaSalle chassis on which he would build his design. The car would be of advanced design, the chassis was lowered 4″. The design was aggressive but not loud, the posts were much thinner than usual, and the windshield was two-piece and formed a slight V. There was concern that the thin posts would not be strong enough, so the entire car was made of steel rather than the wood frame construction that was typical of the time. The interior wood decor was a work of art. When the project was nearing completion, Earl was asked “What will we call it”? Earl thought for a moment… Pauline Frederick was starring in a show called Madam X, Earl had seen the show the night before, and dined with the young Starlet after the show. He said “We’ll call it the Madam X”.

Madam X was a name given to all the Special Vehicles that were created in the Art and Colour Studio for special clients, favored customers, or GM Executives. Their styling was forward looking, and they often incorporated new technology that wasn’t yet available on current productions vehicles. The Dream cars, and Concept Cars of the 50s were also created in the Art and Colour Studio. The designers under Earl’s guidance were pushing the limits of design, and the manufacturing abilities of the day.

Fast forward to toady, and the Team at Foose Design is building another Madam X for Wes and Vivian Rydell. Chip has re-imagined a design first done by Art Ross in 1935 as a concept drawing for a 1937 Cadillac Sixty Special. Starting with a 1939 Cadillac Sixty Special 4-door, the car has been re-bodied as a 2-door Coupe with removable hard top. Just like the early days at the GM studios, Chip and his Team are building beautifully styled cars that push the limits of design and Craftsmanship.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Wow, that looks fantastic, and now I understand the reason for the cut out in the cowl too.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Sorry… could not help it.. Needed to tone it down a bit, and make it a bit more Custom.

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

…And that looks of course even better, but the Foose version was at least 100 times better than what I had envisioned it should end up as. Can’t wait to see the finished car

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Agreed Bert…
    I was happy with the Chip Foose sketch as well, and see the direction the car is going to be styled in.

Quentin Hall
    Participant

There is a crazy guy in Australia building something like this.

Torchie
    Participant

Personally I like Quentins/Riks vision better. And I like the drawing that Rik did of the toned down Foose car better than the Foose drawing. The Foose version has way to much going on even for a quasi concept car.
    But what do I know…………..LOL
    Torchie

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Some progress from the Foose shop.

FooseCad4

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Bout time I gave a bit of an update. My life has been turned on its head the past year. Still no resolution to a few personal problems but life does go on.
    I have taken a short hiatus from the 39 but only to get back into work at yet another resto shop. This one is a much more relaxed setup with a happy team. Just need a little more consolidation at work ( been busy fabricating on numerous cars lately) and then I’ll get back on the 39. You’ll hear it first here.
    PS I dug out these two pics recently and it was cool to revisit one of the earliest cars that influenced my project, the Alex Tremulis 39 Sixty Special built for Custom Motors.

Attachments:
    Quentin Hall
    Participant

How about this stunning artwork I found online yesterday.

Attachments:
    Tinwolf
    Participant

Hi Quentin !
    Never built but someone had the vision to plan a streamline build like that . With the amount of special cars built today one can only hope this one see the light of day .
    Two things is abit weird for the Sixty Special text , when I look at the sideview and see the tiresize this doesn’t look like it has the Sixty Special wheelbase but looks more like a sports custom shorten wheelbase , Im only guessing around 120″ or even abit shorter ? On the perspective view it could easily be 130″+ wheelbase , maybe the little sideview has too big wheels ?
    Second is the windshield which is flat ? A top of the line Cadillac one off coachbuilt with a flat windshield , only Lincoln had flat windshields in the late thirties early fourties of the luxury brands , did any of the GM have flat windshields in the thirties ?? I think the design looks dynamite but why would they not put a Duvall type of windshield on when similar era builds like the Darrin Packards and Cadillacs had them ?
    Anywho a definite totally sleek design !
    Wolf

Bert Gustafsson
    Participant

Yeah, it looks great and it is a pity that it wasn’t built like the sketch. However, they (Saoutchik) built this based on a 1948 Cadillac and even though it is a bit over the top for my taste it has some similarities I think.

Update, just read that they actually built two 48 Cadillacs with similar coachwork.

SaoutchickCad

I believe this is the second car.
    SaoutchikCad2

Larry Pointer
    Participant

Not sure, Bert, if it might be the same car. The second shot was at Pebble Beach, perhaps later, with an over the top paint job: Check out the door! All the body lines and trim, even down to the hubcaps look the same to me. I sent Rik some of the same images for my next installment of the Streamline Moderne influences. Saoutchik was one of the best on the Continent, but as you feel, a bit beyond in his swoopy styling. I’m loving this thread, Quentin!

Viewing 15 posts - 871 through 885 (of 1,002 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.