Custom Car Chronicle

1942 Lincoln Continental Restyle

Home Forums CCC Forum 1942 Lincoln Continental Restyle

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

I have trouble integrating the vertical grilles of the prewar cars with horizontally expanding postwar designs. The transition years often look awkward to me. That’s what started this thread.

James D suggested we go horizontal, so I gave that a try. Here is the Lincoln using twin 1941 Mercury grilles to keep it in the family. The grilles are angled down for a horizontal look more in keeping with the bigger Lincoln. I sheared off one of the headlight wings and rotated the result 90°.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    James D
    Participant

These are some of the trickiest years to restyle. As you say, they fall into the gap between horizontal and vertical styling. Too tall to add a full width grille and too wide to look right with only a vertical grille.
    I like where you´re going with the Mercury grilles though.

Torchie
    Participant

James D.
    Your profile picture of the 3 window version is striking. I love it.
    It even makes that square topped trunk lid and Continental spare more bearable.LOL
    Dave.
    I think you are getting closer with the 41 Mercury Grill but there is still a lot of sheet metal on those front fenders.
    Perhaps something along the line of the 41 Ford car grills. A center nose piece then some smaller nostrils on both side to break up all that sheet metal area. Or a solid nose piece like the custom 41’s used to have along with some smaller grills on either side.
    Just spit balling here……..
    Torchie

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Torchie,
    This is funny. I started out thinking ’41 Ford approach, but bigger for the Lincoln.
    I moved the Mercury grilles in and out, played with the angles till it looked good.
    I played with multiple vertical chrome pieces then took them out and went with a solid center piece with a slight peak.
    Then I posted and went to dinner!

Torchie
    Participant

Torchie,
    This is funny. I started out thinking ’41 Ford approach, but bigger for the Lincoln.
    I moved the Mercury grilles in and out, played with the angles till it looked good.
    I played with multiple vertical chrome pieces then took them out and went with a solid center piece with a slight peak.
    Then I posted and went to dinner!

Great minds think alike Dave. 🙂
    Torchie

Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

I thought it would be worth looking at Lincoln’s competitors in the luxury field.
    This is how they handled the design transition from vertical to horizontal in 1942.

Packard Darrin, styling was a bit dated then, but it’s the one I would have today!
    Classic grille still looks elegant with horizontals added.

Cadillac – making the transition with an egg-crate grille, centerpiece forward to carry the theme.

Chrysler Imperial – goes all-in with a wraparound horizontal look.

Attachments:
    Dave Tartaglia
    Participant

Then there’s the Loewy Lincoln Continental.
    In 1941, Raymond Loewy redesigned a Lincoln for his personal use. He sent the car to the Derham Body Company of Rosemont, Pennsylvania. Derham was a conservative old-line coachbuilder in the Philadelphia area. But they went all out on Loewy’s car!
    This car still exists, though minus the continental kit and custom bumpers and paint design.

By the way, Derham was one of the last of the old line builders. They continued to create one-off designs until 1969!

Attachments:
    Torchie
    Participant

I can’t say the Loewys design does much for me……
    That Chrysler grill on the other hand has always been one of my Favorites. Add it to the mile long hoods that they had and it looks custom right out of the factory door.
    Packard probably held onto that grill design a little too long. And considering some of the Uglies that Packard produced at the end of their run, this car is still beautiful. But like Rolls Royce and yet later, Mercedes Benz. You had no doubt about what brand Car it was when you saw the front end.
    Torchie

Quentin Hall
    Participant

Yes I love that 3 window James D. I think you could lose the continental spare altogether. Or go like the Mark II and have the impression in the trunk. But sloped much further forward.
    I wish building then real was as relatively easy as Photoshop.

James D
    Participant

Carried on playing around with this. Cleaned the conti kit off the back and added a covered license plate. Don´t forget that the hump on the deck would be lowered, as per my previous 3w idea, so it wouldn´t look poke you in the eye as much as it does here.
    Not sure that I don´t prefer Daves “La Jolla” style idea from earlier though.
    Could add some wing tip Cadillac tailights from the early fifties.

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

Some great ideas.. Very inspiring…
    Still no time to play.

Very subtile and nice James D
    Ha… recognize the set in place… Harry Westergard’s Caddy, now owned by Kurt McCormick. Neat!

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

James D
    Participant

Very subtile and nice James D
    Ha… recognize the set in place… Harry Westergard’s Caddy, now owned by Kurt McCormick. Neat!

Ah…busted! ha ha!!

So anyway, I used the ´53 Caddy ligths off the same car and flattened the deck lid out a little more. Looks quite tidy. I think we´re getting somewhere.

Torchie
    Participant

Looks much cleaner James.
    Tail lights sure do help but that hump(“Hump. What Hump.”) has got to be softened up even more. Looks like some cutting is in order.
    Torchie

James D
    Participant

It could come down even more if you go the 3w coupe route with it. Pushing the roof forwards allows it. It´s the same question as before though – do you just whitewash over the original design or do you try and preserve some of it?

Torchie
    Participant

It could come down even more if you go the 3w coupe route with it. Pushing the roof forwards allows it. It´s the same question as before though – do you just whitewash over the original design or do you try and preserve some of it?

That’s the rub James.
    I like the Spare tire on the rear as that to me is one of the real defining features of the Lincolns and something that they carried over into each new model year for a long time.
    Without it what ever you do to the rear of the car short of a whole new style of trunk doesn’t really make sense.
    I still really like the simpler style of tail lights though, as it helps to clean up the rear of clutter.
    Torchie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.