Custom Car Chronicle

1930's Fender Skirts " Bubble " Or " FLAT "

Home Forums CCC Forum 1930's Fender Skirts " Bubble " Or " FLAT "

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kustomland
    Participant

kustomland

Participant

1930’s FENDER SKIRTS………..

So there are two types of fender skirts that can be used on a 1935 / 1936 Ford. There are the bubble ones that seem to be more common and the RARE to find flat style that have a more advanced locking system. You do not realize how different the appearance of a 1935 / 1936 Ford can be until you look at them at the same time. It seems to be more noticeable to me on a black how different they both make the car look. Now some of the 1935 / 1936 cars at the G.N.R.S seem to have the bubble skirts. Tho if the kolor is not black the bubble skirts seem to bulge the fender out of proportion. Maybe I just stand and stare at the cars to long from an angle. I see that a lot of guys tend to make the skirts flush inside the Rear fender lip to make it flow with the tear drop art deco look. This I really like. Even tho there were 3 options one could have Bubble, Flat, Or the kustom flush fit. There does not seem to be any fad as to what was correct. Using fads such as DuVall flipper caps or tail light mounted on the over riders or say who likes what style Top ” CARSON ” ” HALL “…..

I have both sets of Fender skirts and I am not able to make my mind up what ones look the best……?
    So with this Topic here are an example of what Both the ” Bubble ” Fender skirts look like and ” FLAT ” Fender Skirts look like for future examples……On a 1936 Ford.

I do not recommend driving any type of long distance with Fender skirts as I had a bad experience. I bought the flat Fender skirts N.O.S off a Connie from Sweden in The L.A area a well known kustom guy who is a master with an English wheel. Whilst driving to Sac town to a car show one of the guys from the EMPERORS joked if my skirt came off he was going to try and run it over. Sure enough it did and flew off like a frizbee and right when it was about to go to the side of the road it was run over by a 1956 Buick Roadmaster as I watched in my rear view mirror with a broken heart.
    None the less got it on the English wheel and it was repaired.

Hopefully Rik may do a complete comprehensive story on the topic along with BUICK Fender skirts also…..
    KUSTOMLAND

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kustomland
    Participant

Some other kars with skirts……..These kars I thought had the best angle to look at the Fender Skirts…

What do other people like and what are the opinions of others on the topic…?

Attachments:
    Bryan Rusk
    Participant

It seems to me, looking at cars like the Calori, the Pierson, the Giovanni Ford, and the others from the actual era should help answer your question. One thing to note, not all “bubble” skirts are created equal…

David Conrad
    Participant

These are Made in Taiwan and very nice reproductions. Had to change a 3 mounting points.

Attachments:
    Tom Kelly
    Participant

What company makes those ones David?

Rik Hoving
    Keymaster

CCC member and sponsor Kenneth from Vintage Kustoms makes custom teardrop bubble skirts for the ’36 Fords. His fender skirts are created to match the contours and shape of the fender perfectly.

Enjoy the beauty of Customizing

David Conrad
    Participant

I don’t know who makes them but I got them from Wirth’s Custom, a local customs parts dealer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.